Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Walking with the Angels: Guardian 16

This painting was a real struggle as you will see the many faces it took on.  Sometimes it is an inner struggle and sometimes I just keep searching for what the medium can do and say.
The painting started vertical, with several figures emerging.

Flipped it horizontal and a dark singular figure emerges.

Looking back, I like this, but remember at the time I felt I needed to "lighten up."

Changes were because I wanted to add gesture for excitement.

Added some gold leaf in angel and sky.

It got exciting, but looked too much like "Super-man Angel."

Quieted it down, got rid of gesture, still very dark, now I'm in painters hell.

Breaking through.

????????
By this time the textures are thick, color is rich, and I added some metal powders to the paint.  Wanted to go strong female. 
Guardian 16                  Oil, 24 x 36


No comments:

Post a Comment